Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

My First Blog!


Hi Everyone!

Having never really done blogging before, I thought this could be one of the new challenges I set for myself this new academic year... so here goes... my first official blog...hope you all enjoy reading it!

I thought I'd start my first blog by just sharing my experience of my first year at the university and giving you newbies some tips on how you can have an amazing first year too! First year at UNIVERSITY may seem quite daunting for some of you...I know I certainly felt that way when I first started, but I can promise that you will certainly find yourself at ease and enjoying every moment of your university life in no time at all! Just remember that all the other first year students are in the same boat as you are and all of the older students in their second, third, fourth ( you get the idea) years, who may seem a little intimidating, are actually really lovely down to earth people, who have all been through the first year too. There are so many people around the university who are more than willing to help, be it your lecturers, student ambassadors, the student support team, or just anyone around on campus... so don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it!

A great way to make friends is to attend the Fresher events that will be running throughout the first two weeks of term. There will be a range of activities and events that will be advertised on the GET website as well as around the university so keep a look out for them! There will also be a chance to sign up for societies at the Freshers Fair, which I thoroughly recommend you do! Last year I signed up for a few, including St John's First Aid Training and Badminton, which was a great way to meet new people and relax after a long day of lectures. Living in halls is also a great way to meet new people and get a real feel for campus life! I was very lucky to have had great flatmates last year and I'm sure you will love halls just as much as I did!

Now time to get serious! Learning at university is totally different to learning at sixth form/colleges and it does require you to work more independently and manage your own time well. Make sure that you stay on top of your work throughout the year. Attend induction week because that's when you will get the all important pieces of information about your course. Make sure you attend all lectures and complete the online tutorials on time. Don't leave bits of coursework until the last minute and most importantly don't be afraid to ask your lecturers for help when you need it. ( Hope I didn't scare you all too much!)

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment